The proposed world tour of NBA elite amid the league’s lockout won’t include at least one of the Miami Heat’s Big Three.
LeBron James, whose name had been thrown into the mix for the two-week tour that opens Sunday in Puerto Rico and is scheduled to then include stops in London, Macau and Australia, will not be among the participants.
A source close to the Heat forward Wednesday told the Sun Sentinel that James had never committed to the tour and added that James is not participating, “due to previous commitments.”
Beyond that, the source told the Sun Sentinel that James has decided to spend the time with his family and continue his training in preparation for a possible start of the NBA season. Lockout negotiations over a new collective-bargaining agreement resumed Wednesday in New York.
Celebrities: See who is courtside at the Finals
Heat teammates Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh continue to be linked to the tour by promoters.
In the wake of the Sun Sentinel being informed of James not joining the tour, ESPN reported that New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony and New Orleans Hornets guard Chris Paul also would not be participating. With Wade close to those two, his interest could also be waning.
Previously, Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose and Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook said they would not participate.
Earlier, reports out of Puerto Rico, where Sunday’s game was announced, said players would be paid between $ 500,000 and $ 1 million to participate on the tour. Tickets sales were set to begin Wednesday night in Puerto Rico, with a seating chart showing tickets priced from $ 50 to $ 450.
email@example.com. Follow him at twitter.com/iraheatbeat.